Breastfeeding your baby is a special moment between mom and baby. There is nothing you would do to ruin that feeling. Holding your baby close to use and knowing they feel safe and secure is something that cannot be topped.
Though at times it might become a slight issue for you. Especially if your baby comfort nurses. You might need to do a job around the house, but you can\’t settle your baby, due to them wanting to feed or just suckle for a bit.
Well, there is a solution to this problem.
Pacifiers are a great thing for babies who comfort feed. It means that the mom can continue doing the things she needs to do and the baby is able to settle.
There are a lot of rumors that once you start using a pacifier, breastfeeding becomes really hard. Well, don\’t panic. There are pacifiers that are suitable for breastfed babies.
If you have decided to give your baby a pacifier, then you should know what kind of pacifier will work best for your child. We have selected the best pacifiers currently on the market for breastfed babies.
We have also included a handy buyer\’s guide, so you know all that you need in order to make an informed decision about which pacifier to buy.
We know they say breast is best, but here are the best pacifiers just in case.
We love this pacifier since the artificial nipple is able to replicate the nipple. It is neither too big nor too small, and it fits perfectly into babies\’ mouths.
In fact, the shape of the nipple on this pacifier has been known to help babies who were struggling to latch on, learn to suckle.
There are no sharp edges on the sides, which is great for babies as they are able to hold it, and we don\’t fear that it will accidentally cut them. It is comfortable enough for babies to use for hours without getting tired.
The only downside is that it does not come with a cap to protect the nipple of the pacifier when not in use. So, you\’ll need to purchase one separately.
The material used on this pacifier is soft and gentle on the baby’s gums. This makes it easy for them to chew as well as suckle on it. The pacifier is made from 100% soft silicone which is what makes the baby able to suckle on it for long periods.
This pacifier was designed, so it can help promote a natural tongue position in babies. This, in turn, helps to encourage and develop healthy sucking skills for breastfeeding.
The good news is that since it is made from 100% silicone, there are no nasty or harmful materials in it, and it is BPA-free. The silicone it is made from is food-grade meaning it is perfectly safe for your baby to have in their mouths.
The size of this pacifier is perfect for newborns. This pacifier is designed for babies that are between the ages of 0-6 months.
It also protects your breastfeeding journey as the cylindrical shape helps to mimic tongue placement when breastfeeding.
- BPA-Free – You can give this pacifier to your baby, worry-free since it is not made out of anything that will harm your baby.
- Protects Breastfeeding – If you are someone who is already breastfeeding, this pacifier will not disrupt that journey. It can make that journey a lot smoother for you.
- Encourages Sucking – This pacifier can also help those who are struggling to breastfeed. Babies that take to this pacifier that hasn\’t completely latched on, learn the skills of sucking. This means they can use these skills to latch on.
- No Cap – The only downside of this pacifier is that it does not come with a cap where you can safely store the pacifier.
You can also purchase this pacifier at:
When testing out this pacifier on a newborn baby, we found that the baby instantly loved this pacifier!
We tested this pacifier out on the baby from the age of 3 weeks old and the baby hasn\’t taken their eyes off of it since. We found that the newborn baby enjoys sucking on it while they sleep.
It\’s soft and comfortable and doesn\’t hurt the baby\’s mouth as other pacifiers do. This is because the pacifier is made from hospital-grade silicone for durability and strength.
This means that the pacifier is BPA-free but is also free from latex. This is great for any newborn baby that has a latex allergy.
We love how easy it is to clean too. Just wipe it down with soap and water, and it\’s good as new. Although, for safety purposes, we would recommend sterilizing the pacifier just to be safe.
We would recommend this pacifier to anyone looking for an inexpensive way to keep their little ones calm during feeding times.
You can get four of these pacifiers for an affordable price compared to other pacifiers.
- Soft & Comfortable – This pacifier is extremely soft and comfortable for a baby\’s gums. It won\’t cause any discomfort at all.
- Safe for Allergy Sufferers – Since this pacifier is made from silicone, it is BPA-FREE. However, if you have a latex allergy, then you should avoid using this pacifier.
- Easy Cleaning – You don\’t need to worry about cleaning this pacifier.
- Doesn\’t Come With A Storage Case – There isn\’t a storage case included with this pacifier, so you\’ll either have to buy one separately or find some sort of container to put it in.
- Slips Out – Some have found this pacifier to be a little too heavy for their newborns. This means they have experienced it slipping out of their mouths. However, it is made for babies between the ages of 0-6 months.
This pacifier is also available for purchase at:
The HEVEA Star and Moon Orthodontic pacifier is a pacifier that is made in Denmark. This means there are some major differences in the design of the pacifier compared to American ones.
The main difference is the shield. The HEVEA pacifier doesn\’t lay completely flat against your baby\’s mouth and face.
When we were testing this out, we found that this helped to prevent the baby from getting a rash around its mouth compared to when using other pacifiers.
The pacifier is also made from 100% rubber. This makes it very durable and strong. The pacifier is also hypoallergenic which means it will be safer for your baby.
This pacifier is free from BPA, phthalates, and PVC. We found that when testing this item out, the rubber was much softer than some silicone pacifiers.
The pacifier also has holes in the shield to prevent moisture from building up near your baby\’s mouth. This means it helps to reduce the chances of your baby having red marks on their face after using it.
The shape of the nipple of this pacifier does not replicate the shape of a real nipple as there is a flat indent in the nipple of the pacifier.
However, we found this did not interrupt the baby\’s breastfeeding journey. It is also worth noting that the pacifier is meant for babies between the age of 0-3 months.
The only downside to this item is that some users reported that it became discolored after cleaning it in hot water. This means compared to the silicone pacifiers, this rubber one might not be as durable.
- Hypoallergenic – This pacifier is free of BPA, phthalate, and PVC.
- Prevents Rashes – The design of this pacifier helps to prevent rashes on the face. If your baby is prone to irritation after using a pacifier, this might be one to try out.
- Doesn\’t Interrupt Breastfeed – This pacifier doesn\’t get in the way of your baby\’s breastfeeding journey. This means they won\’t stop taking from your breast when using this pacifier.
- Discoloration – Some users have reported that this pacifier becomes discolored after being cleaned in hot water. This could mean that it is less durable than other silicone pacifiers.
This pacifier is perfect for anyone looking for a pacifier that can work as a teether at the same time.
Some babies have a habit of biting when breastfeeding, so this is the best pacifier for them. This pacifier has a beaded design which is great for teething babies.
The nipple pops in when you want to use the pacifier as a teether.
When testing it out we found that it was also good to use for babies who like to comfort suckle. It seemed to make the baby feel more secure when they fall asleep.
This is a stage one pacifier, so it is only for babies without teeth and that are between the ages of 0-6 months. Some users found that the pacifier was a bit small.
There are also holes in the shield to prevent moisture from building up. With the pacifier being made out of silicone, it makes it very soft.
It\’s easy to clean and sanitize as the whole pacifier is made out of silicone in one piece. We like the fact that this pacifier is also BPA-free.
- Easy To Clean – This pacifier is easy to clean because it is made out of silicone. You don\’t need any harsh chemicals or detergents to clean it. Just wipe it down with warm water and soap.
- BPA Free – This pacifier is safe to use if you\’re concerned about BPA.
- Soft Silicone – This pacifier is made out of silicone which is very soft. This means that it will not hurt your baby\’s gums when used.
- Small Size – Some users found that this pacifier was too small for their baby. They felt that it would be better suited for younger babies.
It is also available at:
If you want a pacifier that is similar to the bottle you are feeding your baby from, then this is the one for you.
This pacifier is in the same shape as the nipples on the bottle of the pacifier. This means if your baby also drinks from a bottle, or you\’d like to move them over this pacifier would be a good choice for you.
The silicone of the pacifier nipple stretches and flexes, making this pacifier breast-like. This is a good pacifier to help with transitioning onto a bottle as it is designed to be like skin.
There are no harmful toxic chemicals in this pacifier, and it is BPA-free. The only downside is that there is no handle on the pacifiers. So, babies who like to hold their pacifiers might not be satisfied with this one.
- Breast-Like Design – This pacifier mimics a real nipple. This means that it can help to transition your baby onto a bottle.
- BPA-Free – This pacifier is free from harmful toxins such as BPA.
- Silicone Nipple – This pacifier has a silicone nipple that is flexible and stretchy. This means that it won\’t hurt your baby\’s mouth.
- No Handle – This pacifier does not come with a handle.
It is also available to buy at:
Things to keep in mind when choosing a pacifier
Babies are very sensitive when it comes to their health.
They are constantly growing and developing throughout their life. That is why it is important to ensure that they are getting the best possible care.
One of the most common things that parents struggle with is finding the right kind of pacifier for their baby.
If you\’re having trouble deciding which type of pacifier to purchase for your baby, here are some tips to help you choose the perfect pacifier for them.
What Type of Baby Are You Buying For?
The first thing you will want to consider is what type of baby you are buying this pacifier for.
Do you know what stage your child is currently at? Is he/she still breastfeeding? Or has he/she started solids yet?
These are questions that you will need to answer before purchasing any pacifier.
How Long Will Your Child Use This Pacifier?
The next thing you will want to think about is how long you plan on keeping this pacifier. How long will your baby use this pacifier?
Is it something that you expect him/her to use until they reach 6 months or older? Or maybe you only intend to use this pacifier for a few days or weeks?
Either way, you will want to make sure that you take into consideration how long you plan on using this pacifier.
Is He/She Using Other Types of Pacifiers Already?
If your baby already uses another type of pacifier, then you will want to make certain that you do not switch over to a pacifier that doesn\’t suit them. The reason is that there could be a risk of irritating his/her mouth.
Do You Have Any Latex Allergies?
If you have any allergies, then you will want to make certain that you check whether this pacifier contains latex or not. If it does contain latex, then you should avoid it.
What Size Should The Pacifier Be?
The last thing you will want to take into consideration is the size of the pacifier.
What size should it be? Small enough to fit comfortably in your baby\’s mouth but big enough to prevent choking?
It is recommended that you get a pacifier that is around 2 inches (ca. 5 cm) wide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does A Pacifier Affect Breastfeeding?
A pacifier can help improve the amount of milk your baby receives while breastfeeding.
Since it stimulates your baby\’s sucking reflex, it allows her to suck more effectively.
However, if your baby is already receiving sufficient amounts of milk through breastfeeding, then you don\’t need to worry about adding a pacifier to your routine. Unless you want to use the pacifier as a way to settle the baby, of course.
Are Pacifiers Safe For Babies?
Pacifiers are considered to be one of the safest ways to soothe an infant. There are no known risks associated with using a pacifier.
Many doctors recommend using a pacifier during sleep time because it helps reduce the chances of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
The only thing you need to keep in mind to keep the pacifier safe for your baby is the size of it. Make sure that it isn\’t too small that the baby can choke on it.
Can I Breastfeed My Baby And Use A Pacifier?
Yes! Many mothers choose to combine both methods. Some pacifiers are made with breastfeeding in mind. This means it will not disrupt your breastfeeding journey by having your baby dislike suckling on your nipple.
In Conclusion – There are plenty of pacifier options for your breastfed baby
There are different kinds of pacifiers available today. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
When deciding which one to buy, you\’ll have to think about how much money you plan to spend, what type of pacifier your baby prefers, and whether you want to use it during sleep times.
There are plenty of pacifiers that are suitable to give to breastfed babies. Hopefully, we have helped to answer all of your questions, and you\’ve found the perfect pacifier for your baby.